The Inland Northwest is a wonderful place to visit during any season. Winter is a great time to explore the beauty of this area. However, since winter is a bit more challenging than other seasons, we wanted to give you some tips to make your visit here even more enjoyable!
1. The weather changes frequently from beautiful billowy snow to slush to amazing sunshine within 24 hours. Be sure to bring layers!
2. Bring binoculars and your camera! People come from all over the world to watch our majestic bald eagles feed. You will be able to see them snatch fish right out of the water and then go up to the tree tops right above you to gorge on fish. Coeur d’Alene, Idaho is one of the best places for eagle (raptor) viewing in the US!
3. Bring a thermos. Have one of North Idaho’s local coffee roasters fill it up with fresh coffee for you each morning.
4. If you are driving, have snow chains handy. You may need these if you go up to one of our many ski resorts. People are friendly and if you don’t know how to put them on it is easy to get assistance.
5. Be flexible! Be prepared for lots of weather changes so if you had planned on going snowshoeing that day perhaps instead you are going to go Steelhead or fly fishing. People are surprised to learn that we still have great fishing here in the winter.
6. Bring an extra set of warm clothes and keep them in the trunk of the car. You never know what exciting adventure will return you to the car cold and wet! We have some excellent guided snowmobile trips that take you up close and personal to wildlife and magnificent vistas overlooking our lakes, Yellowstone Park sights, the Selkirk Mountains, and other wilderness areas.
7. Bring your swimsuit! If you find yourself driving between Idaho and Montana we have some fantastic hot water springs. When we plan a driving tour for you, we make sure you don’t miss a thing.
8. Bring a healthy appetite for Western culinary experiences. The cold calls for hearty meals around roasting fires. There are some hidden gem private ranches that open up at certain times of the year for our clients. One is a fantastic Elk ranch that caters to meat lovers.
9. Bring your credit card. Our local artisans will help you create wonderful pieces made out of Elk antler sheds, Indian beadwork, and other treasures.
10. Fly into one airport and out of another to get the most of a vacation to North Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming. We also have our flightseeing tours that can help you see the best of Glacier National Park in a day.